Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Summer times...

I've been on a little hiatus this summer from my sporty blogging etc because of two things. The first is a hip injury that flared up in July and has left me unable to run or do pretty much anything except for ride my bike.  The second was a crazy work/vacation trip that kept expanding and really wrecked my training.

In July I spent a week with my family in honor of Kurt's death, and then rode my bike a ton.  I checked out the Watermelon Festival in Pageland, SC and then did another 60 mile ride along with the Covington Century.  It was an excellent event. 


August was another big bike month and I spent a long weekend in Charleston with some girlfriends that was a lot of fun.  But I probably had too many pina coladas, if you catch my drift.  At the end of August I headed to California for work and then on to Hawaii for vacation.

Hawaii was deluxe, and I did a tiny bit of running, but got a hike or two in, including a kickass hike to see flowing lava with my friend Anna.  It was a wonderful 7 mile trip. 

After Hawaii, work got ridiculously busy and kept me in California basically until last week.  I got sick, of course, which stunk, but the work was pretty fun, albeit bad for my training. I did manage to get some 'trench gymnastics' in, as well as a run or two to this lovely beauty: Burney Falls.
Burney Falls, CA

When I returned to Georgia, I've been cramming in training, with a lot of hiking in Great Smoky Mountain National Park last weekend.  This weekend I went for a solo paddle and today got in a nice bike ride.   
Jenn and I at Charlie's Bunion

Next weekend (or in two days, gulp!)  Jenn, Joe and I hit up the wilderness in and around Knoxville, TN for the 30 hour Checkpoint Tracker Championship.  Jenn and I are racing as Will Race For Food and Jof as Solo Joe.  You may be able to get some updates starting Friday am and finishing Saturday afternoon.

My bro chilling with Daisy

1 comment:

Kate and Michael Craft said...

Just read this! How'd the race go? miss you!